1. Explanation about the different investment activities
One of the following qualifying options is necessary to get the Golden Visa to Portugal:
1.1. Acquisition of any Property above € 500,000.
We can put you in contact with the main real estate agencies in Portugal and help you to select the property, negotiate it, establish the contract and represent you in deed and registry or guiding you through the Golden Visa process with the property you selected under your research.
Some conditions and possibilities regarding property investment:
- Acquisition of Properties above € 500,000 purchased after 8th October 2012.
- Acquisition completed before the application for residency permit.
- Properties should be acquired free from any charges or mortgages.
- Possibility of co-ownership with each co-owner making an investment of a minimum of € 500,000;
- Promissory Contracts of Purchase and Sale for the initial investor residency
application, provided that a deposit of a minimum of € 500,000 is paid. In this event, the purchase of the property needs to be effected until the time of the first renewal of the residency permit.
- Possibility of financing to purchase the property above the € 500,000 investment;
- The properties acquired can be freely rented and let for commercial, agricultural and tourism purposes;
1.2. Transfer of capital above € 1,000,000, any type of business or company or do a bank deposit for income.
We work with the major financial institutions in Portugal. We help you to negotiate deposits and to select investments.
1.3. Creation of a minimum of 10 permanent jobs.
2. Documents & requirements:
Provided by client:
- Valid Passport, Schengen Visa and travel document (all family).
- Birth certificate (all family, apostilled and translated).
- Marriage certificate (apostilled and translated).
- Document that states that the children are dependent from fathers, if they’re bigger than 18 years (apostilled and translated).
- Absence of criminal conviction (Criminal Record) (all family, apostilled and translated).
Law office takes care of:
- Proof of valid medical insurance and proof of address
- Proof of legal entry and permanence in national territory
- Declaration proving the absence of debts issued by the Inland Revenue and Customs Authority and by the Social Security
- Updated property documents showing ownership of property, or
- Signed Promissory Contract with payment of a deposit above € 500,000, or
- Declaration from a bank in Portugal confirming the transfer of the funds
- Absence of notice from the Portuguese Immigration Authorities or Schengen Services
- Declaration from the investor confirming compliance with the investment requirements for 5 years
3. Typical Application costs paid to the Government
Consult us for an detailled excell table with costs for all family, including initial application and renewals.
- Processing Fee (initial application and renewals) - € 513,75 - Initial Investor Residency Permit - € 5.137,50 - Renewal of Investor Residency Permit - € 2.568,75 - Initial Residency Permit for Family Members - € 5.137,50 - Renewal of Residency Permit for Family Members - € 2.568,75
4. VISA processing
Get in touch with us for detailed information about the VISA processing. Process can be started with investor presence in Portugal or prepared in advance through power of attorney at portuguese consulate.
5. FAQ - Frequently asked questions about Golden visa
What are the main advantages of the programme?
- No need to obtain a visa to enter Portugal
- No need to obtain a visa to travel in Europe (Schengen area)
- Living and working in Portugal, even with residency in a different country
- Residency extended to family members
- Extremely low minimum stay periods
- Permanent Residency possible after 5 years
- Citizenship possible after 6 years
What re the countries included within the Schengen Area?
The Schengen Area is a group of 26 European countries that have abolished passport and immigration controls at their common borders. With a resident permit from Portugal, the investor is entitled to enter and travel freely throughout all the countries of the Schengen area.
The Schengen Area includes the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
Should I have a personal bank account and TAX number in Portugal? Can you open it for me? Yes. It is necessary. We can open it for you through a power of attorney. So you just need to be in Portugal for applying for VISA.
Is it possible to make property investment in co-ownership? Yes, the property can be acquire in co-ownership, if each co-owner making an investment of a minimum of 500 thousand euros.
Do I have to pay taxes and fees for purchasing real estate in Portugal? Yes. The taxes related with property are IMT, IMI and IS. You also have to cover the Notary fees and Real Estate registration fee.
For more specific information about taxation rates please refer to following see the document or get in touch with us.
If an investment was made before the publishing of a new law, can the investor still apply for the residence permit? The Golden Residence Permit Programme is applicable only for the investments made after the law is in force. In this case the law has taken effect from the date of 8 October 2012.
How long will it take to make a decision regarding the residence permit? After submission of all necessary documents final decision is taken in less than 10 days. To have the cards in hand in your home country by courier it should take less than 45 days.
What kind of document does applicant get if his / her residence permit is approved? The applicant will obtain a residence permit authorization card, which will serve as an ID or traveling document and will correspond for ID purposes in Portugal and other European Union countries.
What rights does a resident of Portugal have? A person authorized to live in Portugal, has the right to education, maintain professional activity,health care, and justice system.
Which kind of identity do children who were born in Portugal have? Children born in Portugal can apply to Portuguese nationality.
Is there a limitation of family members? No.
Can you explain who is considered member of the family? The spouse. Minors or children who are under guardianship of the couple or of one of the spouses. Minors adopted by an unmarried applicant, by a married applicant or by the spouse, Children who are of age and of whom the couple or one of the spouses is in charge, that attend a teaching institution. Progenitors in the first ascending line of the of the resident or the respective spouse, provided they depend from either of those.
Back to Top
Package of legal services covering from property acquisition to application for residency permit.
Preparation and assistance on property acquisition, including client representation.
Representation before the Portuguese Authorities, plus full assistance with renewals.